Thursday 5 May 2005

The democratic process

I'm away home from work now, and then on to play my part in the running of this great democracy. Unfortunately, I live in a safe Labour seat, despite the fact that we have an MP who seems to be a pretty poor constituency MP, and rarely ever votes or speaks in the House of Commons. So, looks like we're stuck with Alan Milburn.

However, I'll be placing my vote in the hope he has a seriously reduced majority, and that the total swing is enough to stop Blair from pushing through whatever legislation using his huge majority.

I can't bring myself to vote Conservative, however, especially since they'd happily push through the same legislation Tony has. My feeling is that, even if my vote for the Lib Dems doesn't get them this constituency, increasing their share of the national vote strengthens their position for the next election, and shows a the strength of anti-Labour feelings in the country.

No comments: